Something To Dye For

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86532] Something To Dye For
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:32:18 -0500 (EST)

Several days ago sci-fi author/anthologist, blogger, and
general  Jill-of-all-trades Kathryn Cramer posted a
challenge, titled

"Who Among You are Geek Enough to Decorate Your Easter Eggs in Mathematica?

http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2008/03/who-among-you-a.html

It begins: "I dare you. Send your Mathematica egg notebooks to me."

One person egged on by this challenge was her father, John Cramer.

http://faculty.washington.edu/jcramer/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Cramer

K. Cramer kindly sent us several of his, and (to my admittedly
untrained eye) they have considerable visual appeal. With hopes
of getting more such artwork, those of us affiliated with the
Wolfram Demonstration Project

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com

have decided to raise the stakes ever so slightly. First, since
a dare seems too mild, we double-dog dare you; it's not a
competition, but think of it as a challenge. Second, we
intend to write a pre-Easter blog post for

http://blog.wolfram.com

Prepare your decorated eggs using Manipulate, and submit as
Demonstrations. We will include selected artistry therein. Also
note that all eggs published on the Demonstrations site become
freely available for all to use. That's right folks, these eggs
you can poach...

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research