FormatType problems

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg86597] FormatType problems
  • From: "alexxx.magni at" <alexxx.magni at>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:18:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi guys,
I have to output data to be read by other mathematica-agnostic
programs - so I wanted to avoid exponential/scientific notation if

I wrote:
nf[x_] := NumberForm[N[x], Infinity, ExponentFunction -> (Null &)]

to convert my data, but I wanted to know if I could even avoid to
write everywhere:

and just let Math know that it has to use nf[] as a wrapper.
f = OpenWrite["test.dat",  FormatType -> nf]

doesnt work:
FormatType::ftype: Value of option FormatType -> nf is not valid.

$printForms reports:
{InputForm, OutputForm, TextForm, CForm, FortranForm, MathMLForm, \
TeXForm, StandardForm, TraditionalForm}

any hint?

Alessandro Magni