Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86593] Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...
  • From: "alexxx.magni at gmail.com" <alexxx.magni at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:17:36 -0500 (EST)

Murray Eisenberg ha scritto:

> My experience with the Documentation Center in 6.0 and 6.0.1 is that the
> first call to it is slow, but that after that things are faster at a
> given session.
>
> so could the problem be the initial loading of the Java interpreter, or
> some other Java-related initialization, and not just initializing the
> window per se?
>
> Then of course there's the issue of how else to handle this.  One option
> is to write everything in a platform-dependent way and avoid a
> cross-platform tool such as Java entirely.  But that has its
> down-side,too:  increased time to program it, higher cost,....

I see of course the need to keep things simple when a project is
dealing with multiple platforms - although I imagine that a
development firm as big as Wolfram should be capable of handling it.

Yet this argument doesnt convince me that Java was a good answer: what
is more platform independent, for example, of a well written HTML
documentation? Or, simply, the use of Mathematica notebooks without
Java - as in the good old days?

No, the huge slowness that many people experience (not everybody, I
admit) is a faux pas.
Java can be better than in the old days, as David Bailey says, but it
still contains too many unresolved speed issues if 2GHz machines are
crawling when simply reading documentation.

What about an option to turn it off at least in the docs, losing some
(unneeded) interactivity?

Alessandro