Using a logical Or in the function definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86687] Using a logical Or in the function definition
  • From: "ahallam at iastate.edu" <ahallam at iastate.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:51:01 -0500 (EST)

I would like to use Or in the function definition as in

ab[ Or[r_Integer,r_Rational], Or[s_Integer,s_Rational] ]:=r/s;

In other words, I want the function to take integers or ratios of
integers as arguments, but not real numbers which are not rational.

 But if I give the function integer arguments, it does not evaluate.

If I try

ar[ r_Integer , Or[s_Integer , s_Rational]] := r/s;

and give an integer first argument it works and so on.