Find roots in a limited interval

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86732] Find roots in a limited interval
  • From: viktor.albers at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:28:16 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

Being a Mathematica beginner I struggle to find a solution to a fairly
simple problem. I have a function (superposition of several weighted
sinc functions) which in principle has infinitely many roots.

However I am interested only in lets say roots that are to be found
within the limited interval between 0 and 5.

I tried to define a system of inequalities of the type

Solve[f[t] && t>0 && t<5, t] but no success.
I played around with the function Reduce but did not have any success
and I am also not sure if this is the right way forward.

So the question: Is it possible to define an interval in Mathematica
in which I am looking for the roots?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Viktor