Re: Unwanted lined in PDF-exported Graphics3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86776] Re: Unwanted lined in PDF-exported Graphics3D
  • From: Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:58:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 19, 7:22 am, Szabolcs Horv=E1t <szhor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez wrote:
> > Simple code as
>
> > Export["test.pdf",
> >  Graphics3D[{
> >     Polygon[Table[Chop[{Cos[t], Sin[t], 0}], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 0.1}]]
> >    }]
> >  ]
>
> > results in a PDF file which has lots of extra lines on the surface.
>
> > Is there a way to get rid of them?
>
> In this specific case I cannot see any lines with Adobe Reader 8.1.2.
> However I think I know the problem that you are referring to.  The lines
> are an artifact of antialiasing, so there is not way to get rid of them
> (apart from using a different PDF reader).
>
> For some reason Mathematica likes to break up large polygons into many
> small ones and their edges become visible.
>
> See this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_...

I guessed it was antialiasing. It very much
destroys the esthetics of these graphics I'm
working on (sets of symmetry planes of polyhedra,
each one drawn as a disc), sadly, for PDF output.

I guess I was wondering if there is some way
to tell Mathematica to work harder and not use that
many polygons. Rasterizing in order to include
in a PDF seems like a very wrong path...

Oh well.

-- m