Re: Bug: symbol recreates itself suddenly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86827] Re: Bug: symbol recreates itself suddenly
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:54:20 -0500 (EST)

Severin Posta wrote:
> This is definitely NOT the correct answer. The correct answer is (should be)
>
> "Symbol E not found."
>
> By all means this is really a bug.
>
> It has far-reaching consequences.

Yes, for example doing this will break your Mathematica.

> Using symbol E afterwards can lead to
> mistakes because Mathematica thinks (suddenly!) this is again Euler
> constant, not general symbol.

Did you expect that breaking hundreds of functions by removing E would
not lead to mistakes?

> Please don't ask why am I doing this. This is not forbidden according to
> manual - and it worked in 4.0, 5.0, 5.2 versions. It should work in 6.0
> either. (Or it should be documented.)

No, it does not work in v5.2 either.  Mathematica loads symbols on
demand (see DeclarePackage), and you will find a command in any version
that triggers loading a function that uses E.