Converting 3D graphics to 2D polygons

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86848] Converting 3D graphics to 2D polygons
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:02:53 -0500 (EST)

In versions prior to 6 it was possible to convert 3D graphics to 2D like
this:

Graphics@Graphics3D[Cuboid[{0, 0, 0}]] // Show

This does not work any more in v6.  (Note that I am not trying to embed
a 3D graphic into a 2D graphic, which can be done with Inset, but I
would like to get the 2D projection of 3D points, lines and polygons.)

Is there a way to do this in v6?

One can use an ugly hack like
ImportString@ExportString[Graphics3D[Cuboid[]], "PDF"]
but this will break up all the polygons to many little pieces.