Drag and drop in the front end
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg86866] Drag and drop in the front end
- From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:44:31 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: University of Bergen
"Enable drag and drop text editing" can be checked on the Interface tab of preferences. (Apparently this feature has been available since version 3 but I did not know about it.) I think that this is useful (and it would be an order of magnitude more useful if it worked across applications [on Windows], e.g. for dragging code to the FE from a browser!), but it has some usability problems that even make it slightly dangerous: First, undo does not work with drag and drop. It removes the dropped object but it does not replace it to its original location (so the object is practically deleted). Second, when dragging something over a graphic, it completely replaces the graphic. Maybe it would be better to disallow dragging objects over graphics.