Re: Counting nonzeros

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86873] Re: Counting nonzeros
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:13:43 -0500 (EST)

carlos at colorado.edu wrote:
> I want to count the # of NZ entries in an arbitrary multilevel list,
> say exp, that contains only integers.  Is this the easiest way:
>
>   k = Length[Flatten[exp]]-Count[Flatten[exp],0]

Suppose that we only have integers in the list.

Count[expr, Except[0, _Integer], Infinity]

Instead of _Integer, we could use _Symbol or _?AtomQ or some other
pattern depending on the type of elements that need to be counted.

(_Integer was necessary to avoid counting all the compound expressions,
such as sublists.)