Another stylesheet question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86918] Another stylesheet question
  • From: Jerry <Jer75811 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:53:18 -0500 (EST)

I went thru the stylesheet tutorial that David Park kindly
made available. I was successful in making the new
stylesheet he proposed. But I'd like to do something he
didn't cover (that I could find).

I'd like to simply change the size of the text in the "text"
style (the cell type found in the little box at upper left
in a notebook). I can reformat the text cell by cell but I'd
like it to just use a proper text size to start with from
default.nb. I've given up trying to do this in Options
Inspector. I've looked thru it forever and can't find any
way to change text size. And if I did, would that change
what's in the default.nb stylesheet?

So I did Format/ Edit Stylesheet, selected the text style,
to modify, then changed it to a new size and color via the
Format Menu and then *Save As* default.nb.  Well, that
didn't work -- Mathematica wouldn't even run on restart. I had to
restore default.nb from my backup copy. Even though the Edit
Stylesheet window says it is using inherited base
definitions from default.nb, the file it makes is tiny and
apparently leaves out items needed for Mathematica to run.

So I'm missing the big picture -- can someone please tell me
how to modify default.nb -- or make Mathematica use a different
stylesheet on startup? Thanks.