FindMinimum[Print[]]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86954] FindMinimum[Print[]]
  • From: michael at cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:17:40 -0500 (EST)

  Hello list !

  I'm really new to Mathematica (though I can already say wow), and,
following the tutorial[1] (which might be quite outdated), one of the
exercise got me in trouble.

  The author asks to reformulate the following actions

m = {{12,      1 + x,  4 - x,  x},
     {4 - x,   11,     1 + x,  x},
     {1 + x,   1 - x,  15,     x},
     {x - 1,   x - 1,  x - 1,  x - 1}};
expr = Max[Re[Eigenvalues[m]]];
FindMinimum[expr, {x, 0, 1}]

  into a more optimized version.  In the course of doing that, I wanted
to do something like
    FindMinimum[Print[x]; x^2, {x, 1}],
hoping to see how is this whole thing is expanded/parsed.  But, despite
the fact that some articles on that newsgroup used the same form, this
didn't print the iterations as expected.

  I wanted to understand how I should write
    FindMinimum[Max[Eigenvalues[m]], {x, 0, 1}]
so that the eigenvalues are computed on the fully numerical
(non-symbolic) matrix.

  Thanks in advance for any information on that simple matter.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/withoff/

=2D-
 |   Micha=EBl `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Isn't vi that text editor with    =
     |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |   two modes... One that beeps and    =
   |
 |   JID/MSN:                       |     one that corrupts your file?     =

 `----  michael.cadilhac at gmail.com  |           -- Dan Jacobson          - =
 --'