Re: Equi-sized tick labels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86962] Re: Equi-sized tick labels
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:19:10 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 7, 7:53 pm, Will Robertson <wsp... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 10:49 am, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > There is a bug in Mathematica graphics such that when one supplies one's=
 own
> > Tick specifications, the plot does not initially display the correct tic=
> > lengths on the x-axis. But if you select the plot and resize it, then th=
e x
> > ticks will snap to the specification. If you go with the Automatic Ticks=

> > then the problem does not occur.
>
> Indeed, I'm really sorry to have been so misled by this. Taking
> another look at the figures that Mathematica is *exporting*, rather
> than displaying, my code is clearly quite wrong.

Just to revisit this quickly, the bug actually does exist but only
when using both the CustomTicks and MathPSfrag packages to export the
graphics. I'll have to take it up with their authors, but in the
meantime something like the code I originally posted is quite useful
to work around the problem if you are indeed using MathPSfrag. If you
are not, it produces distort ticks, as I found.

Explaining why I thought there was a problem and then got confused:
the problem *did* occur in my test suite, but when I slimmed it down
to post here I got rid of MathPSfrag, which removed the problem --
except that the display bug mentioned by David tricked me into
thinking the problem was still there!

Will