Re: symbolic evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg86996] Re: [mg86951] symbolic evaluation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:17:18 -0500 (EST)

Did you really spend any time examining the documentation for
Mathematica to learn the basics?

It doesn't make sense to say "evaluate" the equation.  Surely you want
to "solve" it, for x.  So why not look up Solve in the documentation.
And be sure to look up the difference between the equality sign for an
equation, the double-equal symbol ==, on the one hand, and the
assignment (Set) single-equal symbol =, on the other hand. wrote:
> I'm using Mathematica 5.1 I want to evaluate a simple equation
> symbolically, such as 7x = 14. of course the answer should be x = 14/7.
> I can't find a clear example on how to do this with a simple equation.
> Can anyone help me?
> Paul

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305