Re: Global setting of Graphics options for plot, listplot, listlogplot...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87093] Re: Global setting of Graphics options for plot, listplot, listlogplot...
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:07:04 -0500 (EST)

zerosumgame wrote:
> Has anyone any experience (v6) with setting global graphics options.
> What I want to do is fairly simple.  I want all my graphics to have a
> frame, automatic gridlines of a particular colour and the same font
> etc.
>
> Fonts are easy, I can set those as in Option Inspector (Formatting
> Options/Expression Formatting/Graphics Box Options/GraphicsBoxOptions)
> in BaseStyle and DefaultBaseStyle.
>
> Setting Frame and GridLinesStyles here is not a good plan though as
> plot legends and graphics Grid use invisible graphics boxes to
> position things.  Adding frames and grids lines to all graphics boxes
> will corrupt these place holder boxes.
>
> I can, in my init.m file introduce altered values for Options[Plot]
> with Frame->True etc but I have to do this for Plot, ListPlot,
> LogPlot, ListLogPlot etc of which there are quite a few.
>
> Question is can anyone think of a better way?

I believe that there is no better way.  You must set options explicitly
for all plotting functions that you wish to alter.  However, this can be
done with a single SetOptions command:

SetOptions[{Plot, ListPlot, ParametricPlot, ...},
   Frame -> True, Axes -> False]

But note that several of the graphics options have different default
settings between these functions.