Re: Convert funcion

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg88340] Re: Convert funcion
  • From: "Jean-Marc Gulliet" <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 03:43:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Johum S <johums at> wrote:
> Hello Jean-Marc,
> Yes, I am try to solve the  Latin Square Puzzle problem, therefore I need
> this function.  Do you know how to implement this function?.
> Johum S.
> Since you seem to have taken your "example" from the documentation of
> the Imtek`ExactCover` function, available at
> it is not clear why you would not use it as it is? Dis you try it? Did
> you face any difficulty or get any erroneous results? What would you do
> with such a function? Perhaps solving the Latin Square Puzzle or the
> Height Queens Puzzle?

I do not know (and I do not bother to know) how to write such a
function since the function has already been implemented (nicely) in
the IMS (IMTEK Mathematica Supplement) package, which is an *open
source* package. *Open source* means that the source code is available
free of charge.

Therefore, if I were you, I would download the IMS package, install it
on my machine, then I would play around with the function *ExactCover*
to get acquainted with it (the documentation have some examples about
Latin squares) and I would look at its code (which is provided with
package) if I wish.

The IMS main web page contains links to the download area as well as
directions to install the package.

-- Jean-Marc