Re: Wolfram Workbench user experiences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88358] Re: [mg88339] Wolfram Workbench user experiences
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 06:14:09 -0400 (EDT)

I have pretty much the same experience that you do. I have beta tested
several versions of Workbench, but I still much prefer interactive
development in Mathematica.

Having said that, the debugger in workbench is more powerful than the
one in Mathematica, and it should be easier to complete package
development with Workbench than in Mathematica.

One problem I have is that the other IDEs I have used -- Xcode,
CodeWarrior, etc. -- have been much more powerful than the Eclipse
environment. The inability to get full API documentation easily in
Workbench is a major failing. I am sure that someone coming to
Workbench from command line tools would not have this problem.

I plan to do my development in Mathematica, and then take the
initialization cells and move them to Workbench for the final stages
of package development.

I see Workbench as a niche tool. It's not for beginners, and useful
primarily for development of large or complex packages.

george woodrow