Re: Question on the Limiting Value of Ratios of Consecuative Primes...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88595] Re: [mg88467] Question on the Limiting Value of Ratios of Consecuative Primes...
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at att.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 03:25:56 -0400 (EDT)

Here's a sketchy proof that the limit is one, based on the Prime Number
Theorem:

prime[primePi_] = First@Quiet[x /. Solve[primePi == x/Log[x], x]]

-primePi ProductLog[-(1/primePi)]

Limit[prime[i]/prime[i + 1], i -> Infinity]

1

I understand that Mathematica's Prime function works by inverting PrimePi;
I've inverted, instead, an asymptotic approximation of PrimePi.

Bobby

On Tue, 06 May 2008 05:38:53 -0500, Richard Palmer <rhpalmer at gmail.com>

DrMajorBob at longhorns.com