remote Kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88784] remote Kernel
  • From: Jan Schmedes <jasch at crustal.ucsb.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 05:34:01 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Group,

i want to run the MathKernel (Mathematica 6) on another faster
computer remotely  in the frontend of my  laptop (Mac Pro and MacBook
Pro). I Configured the Kernel and the box 'Arguments to MLOpen'
contains the following (by default):
-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract
then the Launch command box shows (by default):
`java` -jar "`mathssh`" jasch@crush /Applications/Mathematica-6.0.app/
Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol
TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`" -LinkHost `ipaddress`

now, if i now run a notebook with that kernel, a window asking for
the password appears and after that i can see that a kernel on the
remote machine (i specified 'launch on remote machine') is started.
But then nothing happens and finally i get the error message:
  'The kernel Crush failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end'

Could someone provide some help on how to make this work, that is run
the kernel of a remote machine within the frontend of my local machine?

Thank you

Jan