Re: Color space conversion in Mathematica v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88946] Re: Color space conversion in Mathematica v6.0
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:35:03 -0400 (EDT)

On May 21, 1:57 pm, Robert Buchanan <j.robert.bucha... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> I have a several 2D and 3D graphics which I would like to export as
> EPS and PDF image files. Either prior to Export[]-ing or while
> Export[]-ing I would like to convert them from color to grayscale. Is
> there an option to Export[] for doing this or some other function in
> the Mathematical kernel for doing this? In versions earlier than 6.0 I
> could specify ColorOutput->GrayLevel, but this is not a valid option
> in version 6.0.

There is a global FrontEnd option:

ToPostScriptOptions->{"RemoveColorFromBitmaps"->True}

which will convert bitmaps to grayscale when exporting to either EPS
or PDF, but this does not affect other graphics primitives.  One way
to do this conversion for other primitives is a simple replacement:

(* g is a Graphics expresion *)
g//.{c:(_RGBColor|_CMYKColor|_Hue):>ToColor[c,GrayLevel]}

It's more complicated for Graphics3D expressions, as you must deal
with lighting issues.

-Rob