Re: Mathematica 6.0: How to collect data with Manipulate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93309] Re: Mathematica 6.0: How to collect data with Manipulate?
  • From: Marc Heusser <marc.heusser at byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 05:28:27 -0500 (EST)

In article <gebm2r$gp$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Marc Heusser <marc.heusser at byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid>
 wrote:

> I need to collect data, do statistical analyses and create graphics for
> the results for my MD thesis (suicides in elderly people).
>
> This means maybe 1500 cases with many variables known like age,
> residence address, religion, method etc ...
>
> The data must be collected, ie exists in paper form only.
>
> I just got Mathematica 6, and found nice user interface options.

like Manipulate.

> I'd like using Mathematica to build a data collection mask
> (ie one case, with drop boxes for most data, checking eg birth date for
> validity etc), and collecting those 1500 cases with it in a notebook or
> external file ...

I have played with Mathematica 6 for a few hours and come as far as
this, but now I am stuck:

dataRaw = Manipulate[{ age, livingAlone, religion},
  {age, 60, 120, 1},
  Delimiter, {{livingAlone, "alone", "living alone"}, {"alone",
    "not alone"}},
  {{religion, "catholic"}, {"protestant", "catholic", "islamic",
    "unknown"}}
  ]

This displays a graphical representation of the above, and a result of
eg {60,"alone","catholic"} inside the graphical representation.

How would I go about to either

take an element of a case list containing such lists of items per case,
display them like above with the possibility to change some items, and
then store this list again at the same place in the case list
(ie how to get data into Manipulate - and out of it again)

or

create a new element of the case list with input such as the above
Manipulate?

TIA

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
<http://www.heusser.com>