Re: Design by Contracts in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93353] Re: Design by Contracts in Mathematica
  • From: ADL <alberto.dilullo at tiscali.it>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 06:21:03 -0500 (EST)

Thank you, Steve, for your comments.
The case you mention appears to be related to the evolutions of
Mathematica itself and to the changes in behavior of "core" functions.
In this case, I agree with you that a "design by contract" approach
would be difficult to achieve and also quite inefficient
computationally.

Instead, I was actually thinking to the development of software by the
Mathematica users.
Just to give a picture, I was thinking to something like a couple of
new options to Module, which currently has no options, e.g.:

Module[{...}, ..., PostPattern-> XXX, NoMatchAction:> YYY]

where:
    PostPattern (with a defaul value matching everything, like "___")
ia a pattern matched to *any* value coming out of Module
    YYY[ <module result>, Hold[<module arguments>] ] is a function
which is called in case of failing pattern match with two arguments:
the Module results and the original Module arguments.

The default action of NoMatchAction should leave the result untouched,
like Identity[#1].

With this structure available, perhaps one could write modules in the
normal way but benefit from the possibility to check for their outcome
and immediately stop the propagation of several types of errors,
possibly including the ones you mentioned.

The advise I was asking to the group is twofold:

1) do you know of any way, in the existing Mathematica, to achieve the
same result ?
2) do you think it would help in writing more stable/debuggable code ?

>From a lot of discussions (and my personal experience) debugging
Mathematica code can be a trouble and making it safer since the
beginning (especially without resorting to any strong typing) might be
a nice step forward.

Bye