Re: Eliminating common factors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93371] Re: Eliminating common factors?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:54:19 -0500 (EST)

In article <gepb1g$sg6$1 at smc.vnet.net>, SigmundV <sigmundv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, any of Expand, Simplify, Together, Apart ... will do (at least
> with the actual expression, you posted). However, why did you post the
> expression in TeX syntax? Wouldn't it be easier to type 4(a/4+b/4 c)?

Since this has been asked twice:  I just wanted to emphasize that the
output was appearing as two *display fractions*, i.e. something like

         a                 b
        4                4 c

in case it made any difference; and I wanted do this without messing
with typing something like the above, and worrying about whether it
would display properly with different fonts that were or were not
monospaced.

[The math and computer gurus posting on this group sometimes seem to
assume everyone will know their arcane lingo; I was assuming they would
know at least some basic TeX syntax, since it's a lingua franca for
every colleague (and grad student) that I know.]