Re: Format Type of new Output Cells to OutputForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93424] Re: Format Type of new Output Cells to OutputForm
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 06:01:20 -0500 (EST)

On 11/6/08 at 4:07 AM, temelt at xs4all.nl (Tugrul Temel) wrote:

>I run a Mathematica code that uses a lot of symbolic expressions,
>which uses up a lot of memory and finally results in "insufficient
>memory". Therefore, I want to reduce all the symbolic expressions to
>approximate numbers to get away the memory problem.

>I need your advice on the conversion of symbolic expressions to
>approximate numbers.

You can change exact numbers to machine precision (approximate)
numbers by using the built-in function N. But there is no way to
change a symbol to an approximate number until after a number
has been assigned to it.

I've no idea if the above is helpful to you or not. But it is
unlikely you are going to get any more helpful/meaningful
answers until you post details of the problem you are trying to
solve, preferably with Mathematica code.