prolate spheroidal coordinates - alternative form

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93536] prolate spheroidal coordinates - alternative form
  • From: Peter Gorry <peter.gorry at man.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:13:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi

The 'vector analysis' package lets you change the working coordinate system to many alternatives. I want to use prolate spheroidal coordinates to solve a two-centre quantum problem. These are described in the Mathworld sheet (which has exactly what I want to use) http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ProlateSpheroidalCoordinates.html

However, SetCoordinates[prolateSpheroidal], produces the standard form given in eqns 1-8 in the sheet. I want the form described in eqns 9-21. Unfortunately I cannot find how to get SetCoordinates to produce the alternative form. Any help gratefully received - Peter