Re: Reduce[a^x + b^x - 2 == 0, x]
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg93654] Re: Reduce[a^x + b^x - 2 == 0, x]
- From: "sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 04:57:27 -0500 (EST)
- References: <email@example.com>
It seems the equation is not solvable in an algebraic way. However, I give you one solution: x=0. Depending on a and b there may be one other solution. You should probably try to solve this numerically. Cheers -- Sjoerd On Nov 19, 12:39 pm, "Severin Posta" <seve... at km1.fjfi.cvut.cz> wrote: > If I put > > Reduce[a^x + b^x - 2 == 0, x] > > into Mathematica 6.0.0 Win32, I get no result. System is running computat= ion > several days - probably forever :) > > S.