Re: Re: Creating a Banner -> Now creating a slide show

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93689] Re: Re: Creating a Banner -> Now creating a slide show
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 06:10:39 -0500 (EST)

Dear David,

thank you for your answers. The article you mentioned appeared to be
very instructive and helpful. With it I seem to understand now, how one
can make a presentation in one notebook and show it in another one.
Still, I have one question, may be you could give a tip.

Dear MathGroup members, this this question I address of coarse, to
anyone of you. This group of questions - I believe -  represents a
general interest, since it solves an important problem of how to
organize a Mathematica-based presentation with a lot of programming
behind, if you want to show only results, but not the "kitchen". The
answer (at least one possible answer) seems to be straightforward:
separate them. In other words, put programming into one notebook and
open from this another one which is "clean", since it contains only your
presentation to show. This however, requires a bit  of a notebook
programming.

OK, below I write a simple code which creates a model of notebook to be
presented. It consists of two groups of cells, each one containing a
title, an explanatory text and an interactive or animated presentation.
This works. Playing with this and using tips from
http://scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/ and from Mathematica
tutorials one may create a variety of other separated presentations.

Now comes my question. Do you know a way to programmatically instruct
Mathematica that the newly created notebook must open already as a
SlideShow and each of these cell groups must be shown in a separate slide?
To explain the importance of this point: if it works, you can open your
second (presentation) notebook  from your first one just few seconds
before the presentation. Otherwise you will need just before your
presentation to spend time on dividing it into slides.

(* This specify cells that will be shown in the first... *)

title1 = TextCell["The first demonstration", "Section"];
textCell1 =
  TextCell["A first dummy example", Blue, 25, "Text",
   TextAlignment -> Center];
demoCell1 =
  Manipulate[
   Plot[x^a*Exp[-x], {x, 0, 2}, PlotRange -> {{0, 2}, {0, 1}}], {a, 0,
     3}];

(* ... and the second group  *)
title2 = TextCell["The second demonstration", "Section"];
textCell2 =
  TextCell["The second dummy example", Blue, 25, "Text",
   TextAlignment -> Center];
demoCell2 =
  Animate[PolarPlot[Sin[b*\[Phi]], {\[Phi], 0, 2 \[Pi]},
    PlotRange -> 1], {b, 0, 4}, Paneled -> False];

(*  This creates the notebook  *)

nb = CreateDocument[{
               CellGroup[{title1, textCell1, demoCell1}, 1],

    CellGroup[{title2, textCell2, demoCell2}, 1]
                                      },

   WindowSize -> {900, 900}];

Best, Alexei

Hi Alexi,

There are two (or more!) ways to go about this.  One is to create a
cell in a notebook that has the form that you want.  Then use the
Cell>Show Expression menu command to get the actual Cell expression
for that cell.  Copy that and use that in the DockedCells list.

An alternative way to go about this programatically is the following.
This involves some trickier stuff, but perhaps you can model based on
this.  Here it is for the example that you tried:

rose = Import["ExampleData/rose.gif"];

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
  DockedCells -> {
   FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions",
        "SlideshowToolbar"],
     First[
    ToBoxes[
      TextCell[rose, "Section", TextAlignment -> Center]
     ]
    ]}]

This sort of programming approach is not widely known, but I discuss
some of it in the article "Every Document is an Expression: The Reach
of Mathematica 6"

on this page,

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/

Best regards,

David

On Nov 18, 7:21 am, Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbi... at iee.lu> wrote:
> Dear David,
> This is indeed a very good thing to be able to do. For this reason I woul=
d like to ask you to explain more about it.
> What I am missing is to be able to include an image as a banner cell, rat=
her than only a text. I tried the following:

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.