No more memory available problem with LinearSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93791] No more memory available problem with LinearSolve
  • From: "ChanglingZou at gmail.com" <ChanglingZou at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:11:18 -0500 (EST)

HI,

There is a problem when I use the "LinearSolve" in Mathematica 6.

The Code is:

M = Table[Random[], {10000}, {10000}];
a = Table[Random[], {10000}, {1}];
LinearSolve[M, a];

and I run these codes step by step in my computer with 3G ram, find
that only 800M ram is used to set the matrix. There are still 2G ram
free, but the LinearSolve does not work, just tell me "No more memory
available".

And I tried another code:

M = Table[Random[], {10000}, {10000}];
M2 = Table[Random[], {10000}, {10000}];

It is funny! " No more memory available" too!
800M ram for the first matrix, and 2000M ram is not enough for
another.

Is there any mistakes in my code? or is it A Bug in Methematica?
Anyway, my research is limited by this problem.
How to avoid this?
Thanks a lot for Any help.

Changling