Re: Limits and Direction
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg93828] Re: Limits and Direction
- From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:21:59 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: University of Bergen
- References: <email@example.com>
stpatryck wrote: > Fellow Mathematica Users: > > Why is it that when using the Limit[ ] function, Direction -> 1 > indicates a left hand limit? This really seems counterintuitive. > Because in mathematics the usual convention is to indicate a left to right direction with a positive number. The number line is oriented from left to right, a function with a positive derivative is increasing, not decreasing, a vector with components (1,0,0) is the positive direction along the x axis, etc. > Is there a way to switch it? > No.