RE: Mathematica 7: PieChart: opacity of a sector label?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93901] RE: [mg93878] Mathematica 7: PieChart: opacity of a sector label?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:07:26 -0500 (EST)

Seems like a bug or bad design. Are you really using Opacity in a pie chart,
or are you just using it to lighten the colors? Why not use:

PieChart[{0.3, 1 - 0.3},
 ChartLabels -> Placed[{m1, ""}, "RadialCallout"],
 ChartStyle ->
  {Directive[Blend[{Darker[Blue], White}, .5]],
   Directive[GrayLevel[.9]]},
 BaseStyle -> Directive[FontFamily -> "Helvetica", 12],
 ImageSize -> 200]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark

From: Gordon Robertson [mailto:grobertson at bcgsc.ca]

Could I ask for help with the following? In Mathematica 6, a sector's label
was
automatically dark (very readable) text, independent of the Opacity[] of its
sector. In Mathematica 7, at this point I'm finding that a pie sector's
label has the
opacity of its sector. For example, the following has a pale blue sector
with an 'm1' label -- but both the blue and the label have an opacity of
0.5. Putting Opacity[1] into the BaseStyle Directive does not change this.

PieChart[{0.3, 1 - 0.3},

 ChartLabels -> Placed[{m1, ""}, "RadialCallout"],

 ChartStyle -> {
  Directive[Darker[Blue], Opacity[0.5]],
  Directive[Gray, Opacity[0.2]]},

 BaseStyle -> Directive[FontFamily -> "Helvetica", 12],
 ImageSize -> 200]

I've studied the PieChart help documentation for some time without finding a
way to declare the label as opaque i.e. dark. I'm probably simply not seeing
what I need to see.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5.5.

Gordon Robertson
Gene Regulation Informatics
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre
Vancouver BC Canada
www.bcgsc.ca