Re: CUDA support in 7.0?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg93920] Re: CUDA support in 7.0?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:10:52 -0500 (EST)

Michael Weyrauch wrote:
> Hello,
>    I do not really understand what you are talking about here, Jens,
> and on what basis.

I' talking about that a general multi-platform system like Mathematica
can't use very special hardware in general, because the very special
hardware does not exist in general.

As to see from

"With desktop systems based on Tesla GPUs, Mathematica users will be
able to perform complex, data-intensive computations right at their
desk, negating the need to write native C programs or wait for time on a
public cluster, a process which can often take days or even weeks.

The CUDA accelerated version of Mathematica is expected to be available
in Q1 2009."

> But I know from a very good talk (on the Mathematica users conference
> and not under NDA) by one person of Wolfram Research and another one of
> Nvidia, that they are experimenting seriously with CUDA.

What may be the difference between "experimenting seriously" and
"support it in a product" ??

> (Alltogether it seems not to be that simple, it was said that one
> requires good support by the graphics card manufacturer in order to get
> it going).

Only *one* Graphics card manufacturer support it at all. AMD/ATI will
use its Stream Computing/ Brooke+ language
( and Intels
Larrabee will also have it's own languange.

Moreover, it seems that BrookGPU /Brooke+
will become the standard and not CUDA

Especial because nVidia try to sell its newes graphics cards
for CUDA, while BrookGPU work well even with older ones.

Also, if I understood the speakers well, one cannot go
> beyond the single precision limit in general.

GTX260, GTX280 can do that and this is so general as to have a GeForce
Graphics card and not a Intel, ATI, S3 ...

So, I understand that only
> specific numerical code parts can be executed on the graphics card (?).

What else ?

> If such support makes it into a future version of Mathematica, I, of
> course, don't know.

and it seems that you also "not really understand what you are talking
about here"

> Michael
> Jens-Peer Kuska schrieb:
>> Hi,
>> a) Mathematica run on Solaris and system with ATI/AMD cards
>>     so there can no general support fo CUDA
>> b) it is simple to make a MathLink program that use CUDA and
>>     *this* is the support that exist since version 2.0
>> Regards
>>    Jens
>> Amir wrote:
>>> We are thinking of making some equipment purchases for CUDA use. Can
>>> someone detail what the CUDA support is in this release of Mathematica
>>> if any? We haven't received a copy of 7.0 yet and the new
>>> documentation doesn't mention CUDA or how it's integrated, but it has
>>> appeared in Nvidia marketing blurbs. For example, will it be use-able
>>> with a only newer Nvidia cards? How does it get around the use of
>>> single precision in current cards?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Amir.