Re: How to print TraditionalForm without evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92798] Re: How to print TraditionalForm without evaluation
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:05:16 -0400 (EDT)

Jacub,
it seems me that what you would like to achieve is done by the following

ex1 = (1 - 3*x^3 + 2*x^5)/(4*x^3);
ex2 = (-5*x^(1/4) + (x^2)^(4/3))/x^(3/2);

Grid[{(*Do not integrate this*)
   Table[Row[{"\[Integral]", expr , "dx"}], {expr, {ex1,
      ex2}}],(*Integrate this*)
   Table[Integrate[expr, x], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}]}, Frame -> All,
  ItemStyle -> Directive[FontSize -> 18, Bold]] // TraditionalForm

Best, Alexei

I want to write notebook which prints simple integration examples with
results for the students.
Something like:

ex1 = (1 - 3*x^3 + 2*x^5)/(4*x^3);
ex2 = (-5*x^(1/4) + (x^2)^(4/3))/x^(3/2);

Grid[{
  Table[
   TraditionalForm[Integrate[Symbol["ex" <> ToString[nr]], x]], {nr, 1, 2}],
(* do not integrate this *)
  Table[
   TraditionalForm[Integrate[Symbol["ex" <> ToString[nr]], x]], {nr, 1, 2}]},
(* integrate this *)
 Frame -> All, ItemStyle -> Directive[FontSize -> 18, Bold]]

(there will be much more examples ex3,ex4, etc.)

This works nice, but I need to tell Mathematica not to Integrate in the first
row of the table - examples (only in the second one - results). Is there  any
possibility to suppress the evaluation of the Integral in the first row of
the grid and just print the symbol of Integral and the TraditionalForm of the
example behind it?

May be this is a newbie kind of question, but I have spent lot of time on it,
and I cannot solve it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jakub

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.