export graphics under UNIX

Hi,

I am using Mathematica 6.0 and just switched from Windows to a Unix
environment.
In the notebook the graphic are displayed equally under both platforms,
however, when I try to export the graphic with the same command I used
under Windows (Export["Plot.png", Plot, "PNG", ImageResolution -> 300];)
I just get crap. The resulting file is also much smaller than the one
produced under Windows.

any ieda?

best,

joerg