Re: use vim to edit mathematica file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91823] Re: use vim to edit mathematica file
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 06:56:54 -0400 (EDT)

Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems the vim front end is too old. I'm wondering if it is
> worthwhile to install it.
>
> http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/2584/
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to use vim to edit mathematica file. But it seems
> the .nb files are full of something like
>
> Notebook[{
> Cell[BoxData[
>  RowBox[{
>
> These things are not readable in the text mode. I'm wondering how to
> get rid of these things. How does people usually do when editing
> mathematica files with vim?
>
> Thanks,
> Peng

Normally it only makes sense to use a conventional text editor on
package (.m) files. Although notebook files are text files, they contain
a lot of structure and are easily disturbed if they are edited directly.

Note that you can copy information from notebooks to .m files.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk