Re: Text-based interface: Editing line input

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91931] Re: Text-based interface: Editing line input
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 05:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

Ken Johnson wrote:
> I have been enjoying mathematica, for a bit. While some might consider me a minimalist, I enjoy the text-based interface over the notebook style usage. However I severely miss the ability to move the cursor left and right for editing a single line. The documentation itself suggests pasting lines, but most of my pasting requires a little editing too. So instead of pasting whole lines of input, I resort to partial line paste, adding different text, then pasting the remaining relevant portion of a line.
> Is there any way to be able to freely move the cursor on a line? I have obviously tried the arrow keys, and also have tried emacs style movements as well with no luck (ctrl-b ctrl-f for backwards and forewards). Any suggestions?
Rather than use the command line interface, I like to store code in a
package file (.m) and edit and execute code from that. The FE will edit
a .m file, but it does not auto-indent, and there is a very simple
relationship between the visible package file and what is stored on
disk. I would strongly suggest you try this interface.

David Bailey