Re: Import[] remote files via scp?

Eugene Kirpichov wrote:
> Does Mathematica support opening files via scp or sftp?
> Or is there a separate package around to do that?
> Or is it possible to write one, using only the Mathematica API without
> foreign functions?
>
> (Otherwise, seems like I'll have to J/Link with the jsch library and
> post my results here)

Import can read from pipes.  Assuming that you use public key
authentication (and thus do not need to type a password), the following
*should* work on a Unix system, but I have not tested it:

Import["!ssh remote-machine cat path/to/your/file", "Table"]

(It is important to explicitly specify the data type, e.g. "Table", when
Import is reading from a pipe.)