Re: Advanced plotting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92002] Re: Advanced plotting
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/15/08 at 3:41 AM, kazik.lakomy at gmail.com wrote:

>Hi, I am wondering is there a possibility in Mathematica 6 to use
>two different scales on vertical axis- one scale on the left one and
>the other on the right one (with a horizontal axis being common for
>both the vertical ones).

Yes, this is possible and has been answered several times before here.

>The second question is is there a possibility to make
>breaks in axes. What I mean is that I have a plot with let say X
>domain [0,50], but I am only interested in two parts of it, say
>[0,10] and [40,50], so is it possible to set a kind of an option in
>Plot command?

Yes, here is one way to do what you've outlined above.

Plot[-1, {x, 0, 5}, PlotRange -> {0, 50}, Axes -> None,
  Epilog -> {Inset[
     Plot[45 - 20 ( x - 2)^2 + x, {x, 0, 5}, PlotRange -> {40, 50},
      Frame -> {False, True, True, True}, AspectRatio -> 1/5],
     Scaled at {.06, .5}, {0, 40}, 5],
    Inset[Plot[45 - 20 ( x - 2)^2 + x, {x, 0, 5}, PlotRange ->
{0, 10},
       Frame -> {True, True, False, True}, AspectRatio -> 1/5],
     Scaled at {.06, .1}, {0, 0}, 5]}]

Note the same usage of Inset can create a second y-axis. That is
modifying this somewhat your first question could be answered by
replacing the Plot[-1 ... part with one function using
Frame->{True,True,True,False} then using Inset to plot the other
function with Frame->{False,False,False,True}. But this approach
is more complex than previous suggestions for creating a second y-axis.

The simplest way I can think of to create a second y-axis would
be to use FrameTicks to specify a custom axis on the right side,
i.e., FrameTicks->{Automatic,Automatic,None, customList}