Re: Diagonalize sparse matrix and documentation in version 6.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92252] Re: Diagonalize sparse matrix and documentation in version 6.
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:32:31 -0400 (EDT)

Thibaut Jonckheere wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I am currently writing code involving the diagonalization of large
> sparse matrix.  With a little research, I found this post on the group:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/04e12cc442615ff1
> explaining some very useful options (like Method -> {Arnoldi,
> MaxIterations -> 10^5,
> Criteria -> RealPart}).
>     However, I found no mention of these options in the documentation
> center of my Mathematica v6. The best I could find is this page on
> Wolfram site:
> http://documents.wolfram.com/v5/Built-inFunctions/AdvancedDocumentation/LinearAlgebra/4.4.html
> but the page is for version 5.0 and called obsolete. I could not find an
> equivalent page for version 6.  Am I missing something, or are these
> options for eigensystems not documented in version 6.0 ?

If you have a newer version of Mathematica 6, then go to Help -> Virtual
Book -> Mathematica and Algorithms -> Advanced Topics -> Linear Algebra.

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/LinearAlgebraInMathematicaOverview.html
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/LinearAlgebraSparseArrays.html

These doc pages are present in *all* versions of Mathematica 6, but they
might be a little difficult to find.