Help

I'm new in Mathematica. I have version 6.0.3.0.
I'm trying to create an animation or a plot, something simple. I found
Animate[].
I can make it work fine by doing something "like"
Animate[Plot[Sin[34*x-2*t], {x, 0, 2*pi}], {t, 0, 5} ]
But if i have my expression stored in a variable i can't...
a = Sin[34*x-2*t];
Animate[Plot[a, {x, 0, 2*pi}], {t, 0, 5} ]
leaves the animation blank.

I tries all variants I could think of and I always fail. I actually
wanted to create several animations of expressions i have stored in a
list, and I could do it one by one manually but I wanted to learn the
proper way and I'm frustrated already. Any ideas?