Re: mathematica newbie ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92439] Re: [mg92376] mathematica newbie ?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:53:10 -0400 (EDT)

To begin, I hardly thing there's any difficulty whatsoever in the stated
case where nsupports=3, since you have then a list of just 3 elements.
so let's try something a little more ambitious, where there are, say 6
elements:

   nsupports = 6; ndof = 10; nels = 2;

Next, define a function v having two special rules and one general rule:

   v[0] = 0; v[nsupports - 1] = ndof - 2;
   v[x_] := 2 x nels

Finally, form the column vector you want:

   col = Table[{v[x]}, {x, 0, nsupports - 1}]

The result is, in effect, a column vector -- although it's really just a
list of 6 one-element lists.  If you want to display it as a column
vector, do this:

   col // MatrixForm

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.