Re: HoldAll for Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98180] Re: HoldAll for Integrate
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 05:58:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi Szabolcs,

it would not be very hard to check if we have a definite Integral.

Daniel

Szabolcs Horvát wrote:

 > dh wrote:

 >> Hi Tammo,

 >> what Integrate really does can only somebody from Wolfram explain. But

 >> it completely eludes me why the integration variable in "Integrate" is

 >> not localized. Maybe some can give a reason for this.

 > Hello Daniel,

 > It does not make any sense to localize the integration variable

inside Integrate because the result may contain the integration variable

(in case of indefinite integrals).

 > However, it might be argued that it is a bad idea to use the same

syntax colouring for the integration variable that is used for localized

variables (e.g. in Table), as this will make it impossible to tell from

the colouring whether the variable has a value.

--

Daniel Huber

Metrohm Ltd.

Oberdorfstr. 68

CH-9100 Herisau

Tel. +41 71 353 8585, Fax +41 71 353 8907

E-Mail:<mailto:dh at metrohm.com>

Internet:<http://www.metrohm.com>