Re: Using manipulate in two cells in one note book crashes my computer.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98173] Re: Using manipulate in two cells in one note book crashes my computer.
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 05:57:10 -0500 (EST)

sean k wrote:
> By the way, I'm using Mathematica 7.0.0. Windows vista home edition. 32 bit. I also recently updated to Java runtime 6.0 and I had some problems with Mathematica help crashing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Mathematica.
>
> Also have Mathematica 6.0 installed. (This problem persists in Mathematica 6 also )
>
> I also have another CAS system and other stuff installed on here, but not sure if any of that is an issue.
>
> Anyway, Thanks for any info.

Mathematica uses its own Java embedded in the installation directories,
so the main Java on your machine is not relevant unless you are
compiling Java code for use with J/Link. Mathematica 7 uses Java 6.

Do use a different context for your two notebooks (when things work OK).

The problem is that your variable dsol is shared by the two calculations
- so one changes its value, which triggers the other into action.....

I solved it my using a Module to localise dsol:

Manipulate[
  Module[{dsol},
   dsol = DSolve[{k1 k2 b[t] == k1 b'[t] + b''[t], b[0] == b0,
      b'[0] == bp0}, b[t], t];
   Plot[Evaluate[b[t] /. dsol], {t, 0, 10}, PlotRange -> All]], {k1,
   0.1, 10}, {k2, 0.1, 10}, {b0, 0.1, 10}, {bp0, 0.1, 10}]

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk