Re: eliminate x

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg98202] Re: [mg98184] eliminate x
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 04:48:20 -0500 (EST)

I'm not certain at what level of experience you are asking this question.
Nor do I know how to pick out the lowest exponent of x, other than 0.

But, for your particular case you could use pure functions to manipulate the
equation step by step. (Look up Function in Help.) Here it is in gory detail
with annotation:

Print["Starting equation"]
x*x + x + 5 + 8*x*x*x == 0
Print["Subtract x from both sides"]
# - x & /@ %%
Print["Multiply both sides by -1"]
Minus /@ %%
Print["Reverse the equation"]

David Park
djmpark at

From: magdamoczydlowska at [mailto:magdamoczydlowska at]

Dear All,

I have simple equation x*x+x+5+8*x*x*x=0 and I would like to eliminate
from this equation x  but in this way to recaive x=- x*x-8*x*x*x-5. So
the x with the lowest power is always on tle left site.

Best regards and thank you for help,