passing an array variable as a file name string to FindList

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98215] passing an array variable as a file name string to FindList
  • From: Venkatesh Ramakrishnan <venkatr at tifr.res.in>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 04:32:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi Everybody

 I have this problem for which I have to write a code -

 1. There is a directory that contains around 30,000 text files.
2. I wish to read each one of them and extract some information.

 Now,

 Flatten[Table[FileNames[]]]

 will give me all the file names in a table.

 So,

 An array variable with the subscript that contains the loop counter
will
 give me the filenames one by one.

 The question is, how do I pass the array variable as a String argument
 to functions like -

 FindList[]
 ReadList[]

 and other text file manipulation commands?

 If anybody can shed some light on this, I would be very thankful.

 With best regards
 Venkatesh