Re: passing an array variable as a file name string to FindList

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98282] Re: passing an array variable as a file name string to FindList
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 06:34:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Venkatesh,

There must be many ways to do this. I'll provide you with three
examples, two of them the Fortran way and one the Mathematica way
(don't worry, they all work in Mathematica).

myFileNames = FileNames[];

(* Classis Fortran style; long; i is an index in the list*)
Do[
 FindList[myFileNames[[i]], "top secret"] // Print,
 {i, 1, Length[myFileNames]}
 ]

(*Fortran style; slightly shorter; i itself gets the successive values
of the list*)

Do[
 FindList[i, "top secret"] // Print,
 {i, myFileNames}
 ]

(*Mathematica functional programming style, /@ is shorthand infix
notation for Map; # and & are used to make a pure function*)

FindList[#, "top secret"] & /@ myFileNames

Cheers -- Sjoerd