Re: Difficulties with Re
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg98341] Re: Difficulties with Re
- From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 02:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
On Apr 6, 12:04 pm, Aaron Fude <aaronf... at gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Of the following two expressions, the first "works", while the second > doesn't. How does one make it work? > > Assuming[x > 0 && y > 0, Re[Exp[x + I y]] // Simplify] > Assuming[x > 0 && y > 0, Re[Exp[(x + I y)^2]] // Simplify] > Why don't you use ComplexExpand instead? Also note that after applying ComplexExpand to your second expression, the LeafCount *increases*, so it's no wonder Simplify doesn't do the transformation.