Simplifying an expression for computational, not aesthetic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98436] Simplifying an expression for computational, not aesthetic
  • From: negatron <lokieffect at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 05:59:19 -0400 (EDT)

My small grudge is that Simplify[x^2/y^2] does not result in (x/y)^2
even though Mathematica is evidently aware the two are equivalent --
An input of (x/y)^2 results in an output of x^2/y^2. This seems to be
because of the brackets, which mathematica prefers to avoid.

My question is, is there a way to specify that Simplify produces the
SIMPLEST expression it has found, not just the simplest which can most
conveniently be expressed. There's nothing in the documentation as far
as I can tell.

Thanks.