Re: Re: Fast Access to Installed Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98479] Re: [mg98395] Re: Fast Access to Installed Packages
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:57:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 05:51:16 -0400 (EDT), David Bailey wrote:
> dbreiss at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> The following is a partial answer.  This opens the Documentation
>> Center at the page where the add ons are listed:
>>
>> FrontEndExecute[
>> FrontEndToken[
>> "OpenHelpLink", {"paclet:guide/InstalledAddOns", Null}]]
>>
>> There are also (more obscure and undocumented) commands that add
>> entities (and commands) to menus.  I use these to modify the Palettes
>> menu in http://scientificarts.com/worklife.
>>
>> It uses the FrontEnd command FrontEnd`AddMenuCommands
>>
> As I remember it, the big problem with using AddMenuCommands, was/is
> that if you kill the kernel and re-run the code, there didn't seem to be
> any way to avoid adding the same menu item a second time, etc.
>
> Have you found any way to avoid this problem?
>
> For personal use, I just extend the MENUSETUP.TR file - but that
> technique is not really suitable for software going to other users.
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

You can completely reset the menus using...

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`ResetMenusPacket[{Automatic}]]

You'll get some ugly flicker, but that would work.  You can also put the
AddMenuCommands function in a front end init.m which can be found someplace on
the path specified in the ConfigurationPath option.  In that case, the init.m
file will get executed by the FE as it starts, not the kernel, and so it won't
matter how many kernels you start or quit.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group