converting a list element into a number?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98585] converting a list element into a number?
  • From: meitnik <meitnik at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:35:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi
I have noticed when using Position[], it returns a single element
list. So how do I convert that into a number other than using Flatten
to strip off the braces? It seems if I use Flatten within any
subroutine code, I get the error code thats its "Protected". So how do
I work around using Flatten?? Thanks