Re: Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98677] Re: [mg98659] Simplify
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:13:23 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, you are right but I still think it is beside the point. Consider
this rather more striking (in my opinion) example.

let

expr = 2^(z + 1)*3^z

You can easily see that this can be re-written as 2*6^z and that:

LeafCount[Hold[2*6^z]]
  6

while

LeafCount[expr]
9

so  2*6^z has a much smaller LeafCount than expr, but you can never
Simplify expr to 2*6^z because the Evaluator will always rewrite it
again as expr. This has a rather unpleasant consequence:

FullSimplify[2*6^z - 6^z]
2^(z + 1)*3^z - 6^z

Simplify cannot see that the simplest answer if 6^z (no matter what
ComplexityFunction you use) because immediately on evaluation 2*6^z is
converted to expr above and then it is too late; Simplify can't see
that the first term is simply twice the second term. Yet Simplify has
no problem noticing that:

Simplify[2*6^z - 6^z == 6^z]
True

The reason for the problem is the following "canonical form":
expressions like  (a^k1*b^k2*c^k3...)^z *(a*l1*b^l2*...) where a, b, c
are positive are re-written as a^(k1+l1)*b^(k2+l2)*....

For example

(2^u*5^v)*(2*3^w*5^z)
2^(u + 1) 3^w 5^(v + z)

(actually the rule used is note general, but I just want to give an
example of a "canonical form" that causes trouble).

Since these reductions are made by the Evaluator, Simplify has no
effect on them. But because of them we get the following inconsistent
behaviour:

2*5^z - 5^z
5^z

but

2*6^z - 6^z
2^(z + 1)*3^z - 6^z

This, of course, cannot be changed by applying Simplify with any
ComplexityFunction because canonical forms can't be changed by
Simplify (unless you apply Hold).

Andrzej